There were no public tennis courts on the Palos Verdes Peninsula in the early 1950s; tennis players sometimes carried their own nets to private courts at Malaga Cove School or in Manhattan Beach. In April of 1959, a dozen people met to discuss the possibility of providing a tennis facility in Palos Verdes Estates. They left that meeting with a commitment: contact all residents interested in supporting that goal. A telephone campaign successfully convinced hundreds to attend a meeting on June 23, 1959, at the Malaga Cove School cafetorium. Don Miloe chaired that historic meeting, and the late Fred Hartley of Union Oil was present and contributed several helpful suggestions. Five dollars each was requested as earnest money, and our cooperative effort towards a PVE tennis club was underway!
Location, location, location!
The perfect location for the new facility was found, city parkland adjacent to the Palos Verdes Golf Club (PVGC was founded in 1924). A proposed leasing of the city parkland to the P.V. Tennis Foundation was presented to the P.V.E. City Council on March 8, 1960. This was the result of work done by attorney Don Hitchcock who drew up the Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws proposing a non-profit organization for the purpose of the advancement of tennis facilities and activities for the youth and adults of the Palos Verdes Peninsula.
A meeting was held at Harry Brandel's residence to discuss the financial and legal responsibilities of such a facility. The bank required $50,000 on deposit before any agreements regarding use of city land would be considered. These assets were obtained as a result of hours of telephoning and generous "angels" who guaranteed $1000 loans to the club.
The first concession agreement between the City of Palos Verdes Estates and the Palos Verdes Tennis Club was signed on March 14, 1961, and a second modified agreement was signed on March 26. All activities of PVTC are under the jurisdiction of the City of Palos Verdes Estates.
After these agreements were signed, the struggle to raise funds began in earnest. In order to build courts, $350 each was needed from some 150 prospective members. After canvassing Palos Verdes Estates thoroughly for members, the committee was still short, so non-PVE residents were sold memberships to reach the desired goal. The first dues were $7 per month!
No history of the Palos Verdes Tennis Club would be complete without mentioning the first president, Don Miloe; the first pro, Jack Weber; the club's prime mover, Jack Kahlo, whose dedicated service kept many people together; and the first Board of Directors: Anne Brandel, Mitch Dazey, Vi Graham, Don Knight, and Barbara Young, niece of Janet Young, whose plaque is embedded next to court one. It is impossible to recall and acknowledge the work of so many!
Palos Verdes Tennis Club opens!
On July 20, 1963, five courts (now courts 1 through 5) and a small pro shop were opened, and the first sets of doubles were played. Three additional courts (courts 6 through 8) were built in 1965, and in December of that year over 300 Peninsula children attended the first free tennis clinic under the direction of Jack Weber. Courts 9 and 10 were added in 1971, courts 11 and 12 were built in 1978. The clubhouse was dedicated and presented to the city in 1970.
2013 marks the 50th anniversary of Palos Verdes Tennis Club. We now have a great club with twelve courts (10 lighted), a membership of 400, and a non-resident waitlist to join the club.